The Nicasio Volunteer Fire Department
formed in 1946
Pictured: Augie Papina stands on a surplus U.S. Army Half-Track used in World War II and then declared surplus. Doc Smith purchased the half-track in Reno, Nevada, and it was driven to Nicasio. This was Nicasio's first fire truck, converted in 1946 to include a water tank, pump, fire hose, and tools. Photo courtesy of NVFD and the Gus and Mary La Franchi family.