This week we are publishing the history of the Ross, California Fire Department. They were one of the oldest fire departments in Marin, formed in 1908, and merged into the Ross Valley Fire Protection District as of 2012. They were a very innovative department for a very small town in 1908, with a population of only about 500 people.
They acquired one of the first motorized chemical fire apparatus on the West Coast in 1910, and certainly the first in Marin County. The oldest and largest department in Marin, the San Rafael FD, visited Ross in 1910 to consider their own eventual purchase of something motorized.
The department also employed one of the earliest paid fireman to drive the new chemical apparatus. For most of it's history it was primarily a volunteer FD, active, proud, and effective at a very low cost to the community. Read the start of what will be expanded on soon under the Departments>Former>Ross FD menu, or by clicking below.
Our Blog announces new site content, and gives the context of the topic and it's relationship to fire service history. Written by Tom Forster.